TFG, LLC is currently searching for a Proofreader/Copy Editor to join our team.
TFG is a bipartisan government relations consulting firm headquartered in Washington, DC, that represents the largest number of local governments of any firm in Washington. We are searching for a motivated Proofreader/Copy Editor who is interested in working with a fast-paced, dynamic team.
The Proofreader/Copy Editor will have the chance to work alongside TFG partners and staff with decades of experience in public service and government relations who are working to make a direct and meaningful impact in communities across the U.S.
This position’s contributions are critical to helping us achieve objectives such as providing needed water, wastewater and transportation infrastructure; supporting public safety and health efforts; protecting waterways and endangered species; addressing various environmental issues; rejuvenating neglected industrial areas into sustainable, vibrant economic communities; developing economic revitalization plans for blighted cities or neighborhoods; and aiding communities with disaster response and recovery. TFG values its employees and is committed to training a Proofreader/Copy Editor and supporting their growth and advancement within the firm.
Position Objective: The Proofreader/Copy Editor will identify, mark, and correct grammatical, typographical, style, and composition errors in written content and assist with editing, revising, and producing a broad variety of professional documents such as articles, manuals, proposals, grant applications and other publications; ensure accuracy in all written documents that will be sent to our clients and other external and internal individuals; proofread proposals for grammatical, spelling and layout errors, proof various documents for continuity of language and communication throughout.
Basic Functions and Responsibilities, including, but not limited to:
- Reviews proof copies of content; identifies and marks grammatical, typographical, style, and composition errors for revision.
- Ensures consistent style and formatting in accordance with the organization’s style guide.
- Ensures accurate spelling, punctuation, and grammar.
- Reviews headings, captions, pagination, copyright, and other metadata for accuracy and consistency.
- Indicates required revisions using established method, which may include handwritten changes using proofreading symbols and/or digital markup in selected software.
- Reviews tables of contents, indices, and other reference materials for accuracy and formatting.
- Performs final proof; ensures revisions are incorporated as intended.
- Uses word processing software and text management systems to edit and prepare copy for manuscripts and presentations.
- Ensures articles, manuals, proposals, and other publications meet style, formatting, and general quality standards.
- Ensures publications are completed on time.
- Confirms that publications meet firm specifications.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Communications, or related field required.
- Previous related experience or demonstration of skills required.
- Candidates must be available to work full time.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Must be able to meet competing deadlines and adhere to project schedules.
- Must be able to communicate effectively in a remote work environment.
- Demonstrate willingness and desire to take initiative and problem solve.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret complex documents and instructions.
- Must be highly detail-oriented, organized and able to work effectively under pressure.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple competing deadlines.
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently to achieve stated goals.
- Ability to use independent judgment effectively.
- Must demonstrate proficiency in Microsoft Word, Power Point, Excel, Outlook, Adobe, and internet functions.
- Ability to format and manipulate documents without guidance is essential.
- Excellent verbal and superlative written communication skills.
- Thorough understanding of grammar, spelling, and usage.
- Understand and consistently reflect the brand voice of the company in writing styles.
- Determine whether proposal questions have been adequately answered.
- Proofread proposals for grammatical, spelling and layout errors.
- Proofread documents for continuity of language and communication throughout the proposal.
- Applicants with 2+ years of experience.
TFG requires all applicants to submit a writing sample. Sample not to exceed two pages.
If you are interested in the TFG Proofreader/Copy Editor position, please send your resume, cover letter, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate your availability. The subject line of your email should contain the words "Proofreader/Copy Editor."
This is a Remote role! Candidates can live in any state!